With the coming of Thanksgiving, a holiday which celebrates family and the tranquil sharing of plenty, the holiday season has begun. In the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) a national election has just been concluded in an atmosphere that is anything but tranquil and the forecast for the holiday season and beyond is uncertain at best. Great Lakes Restoration believes that this year sharing your plenty to preserve the fragile progress which has been made over the past few years and to help more families to emerge from the shadows of war and conflict, is the best way to BUILD THE PEACE and contribute to the health and stability of families, communities, the DRC and the Great Lakes region as a whole. No donation is too small; please give generously now.
Great Lakes Restoration (GLR) is a non-profit organization with the goal of “Building the Peace” by assisting the poor people in the Eastern African countries of the Great Lakes region, primarily the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania, in the post-conflict recovery from recent warfare, through the development of the human capital capacity.
The projects sponsored by GLR are designed to stimulate creativity, work, ambition and hope. These are not “quick-fix” projects but are designed to establish the long term future growth, peace, and stability in the Great Lakes region.
Our projects, our “buildings”, will address the following components inherent in
“Building the Peace”:
- INFRASTUCTURES to improve the living conditions of the population and
effectively fight poverty.
- EDUCATION to promote the basic tools necessary for growth.
- HEALTH to provide the population with the services and medicine needed to combat disease, poor nutrition, HIV/AID, and premature death.
- WATER and ELECTRICITY which are essential to sustain human life in the modern world.
- HOUSING to promote human dignity through improved living conditions.
- EMPLOYMENT to provide hope and an alternative future for people to live and prosper in peace.
Our PROJECTS page synopsizes our specific plans to address these basic needs. A detailed proposal is available upon request from GLR.
GLR is organized and operated as a tax-exempt, non-profit corporation pursuant to section 501 (c)(3).